Our short guide to superb Upstairs CDR label, run by Daniel Lopatin of Oneohtrix Point Never fame.
Download the mixtape (right click > save as)
- Flower Man Behind The Habit Wheel (“Exit Cameo”, 2009)
- Manic Shooter Cathedral Pines (“Dog Master Teleportation”, 2010)
- Innercity New Waves (“In Fetal Aura”, 2010)
- Innercity Adaptation (“In Fetal Aura”, 2010)
- Elfenbeinturn Beware Of Sleestaks (“Radio Scenic Glow, Vol.1″, 2009)
- Earth Station Band Of Brothers (“Radio Scenic Glow, Vol.1″, 2009)
- Flower Man Pop Op Distant Lands (“Exit Cameo”, 2009)
- Caboladies Medic Yak (“Radio Scenic Glow, Vol.1″, 2009)
- Geoff Mullen & Keith Fullerton Whitman #01.1.5 (“November 28 2009″, 2010)
- Manic Shooter Ever Self Same (“Dog Master Teleportation”, 2010)
“Memory is not an instrument for exploring the past but its theatre. It is the medium of past experience, as the ground is the medium in which dead cities lie interred.” W.Benjamin.
∆ UPSTAIRS ∆ begins with an ambiguation of Benjamin’s †humanMEMORY†… instead opting for pulse present and or low/high binary, as the survival and proliferation of good data is the measure of an affective archive. CDRs support the humanitarian interests of sound people from every corner of the world, and a label in its most stoic format is an archive of social impulses. At the limit of every CDR is an even greater one. Just as time decants us, great music has the ability to decant time. We choose to inhabit THE JAMS rather than countries
Designs inspired by NeXT, corporate cafeterias n brutalist sunsets featured prominently on all-over black disques, hand marked in metallic gold ink. Upstairs does not support the RIAA or bionic fascism. If you have something valuable that you don’t want the RIAA to see, hide it behind a painting.